Friday, January 22, 2010

Holy Hormonal Headache Batman!

Monday started as every weekday does, slamming the snooze button for 10 more minutes of sleep at 5am. Shortly after starting my 5:30am class I felt my head split in 4 different directions. Pregnancy headaches blow the socks off any headache I had before baby. They start in the back of the neck and pull all the way through the eyeballs. The pressure is unbearable making my eyeballs feel as if they are going to pop out of the sockets. And monday kicked off the first of 3 days with one...Oh joy!

Some relieve was found halfway through my first workout of the week. Endorphins and increase in oxygen must have chased away the hormones throbbing in my head. The workout was tough. I ventured off the CFmom site and wrote my own wod. I was craving deadlifts.

5 Rounds
500m Row
30 Knees to Elbows
15 Deadlifst (155 lbs)

It took me 45 minutes to get through 4 rounds so I called it a day there. Knees to Elbows have never been my first pick for ab work but they seem to be the only core movement I can do now that I am in my second trimester. After 2 rounds of them I started asking if it was really too late to lay down and do some good ole sit ups. Out of desperation I did my last 30 sit ups on a stability ball. After a year of GHD sit ups these were a joke, but baby was safe.

This was one of the hardest workouts I had done since the first few weeks of my pregnancy. Even without the intensity it still kicked my ass. So much so, I felt like crap the next day, struggled through my classes and left work early for a good nap on the couch. Could be the hormones, could be the workout. Who knows.

My next workout didn't happen until Thursday. I had to literally squeeze it in between coaching the 5pm and 6pm class.  A quick warm up and I was off.

Hopper Deck, 9 of Spades
21-15-9
Box Jumps - 24 inch step ups
KB Swings - 16 kg
SDLHP - 65 lbs

This was the third workout for the Southwest Regional Qualifiers last May and my time was 5:26. My second attempt at this wod was in September and my score was 4:58. Thursday I completed the wod as prescribed with a whopping time of 10 something. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to going backwards.

So heavy deadlifts and lots of glute/ham action my lower back was on fire. If my day permits I'll probably take a long row later. Still trying to hit my 4 workouts per week.

No comments:

Post a Comment