Friday, March 5, 2010

His Name is Traeger, Not "Oops"

The 2009 CrossFit Games kicked off with 2 of my weakest events.  I did everything possible to train my weakness and pushed hard on every step of the 7.1k run from Hell, but the back injury I developed during Regional Qualifiers was my Achilles' heel after the dead lift WOD. The months of intense training, body break downs, hardcore paleo, and emotional build up to the Games was something only the strong could survive. Top that off with a long run and heavy deadlifts, hind sight would suggest that being cut after the first 2 WODs was inevitable. Scott guided me like an angel through the mass of spectators after learning that I wouldn't be advancing into WOD three. It felt like a walk of shame, but the bright orange wrist band and large black numbers across my body indicated that I was a warrior. I choked back tears as I fell to the blanket surrounded by my supporters, my friends.

Moments after the sting wore off I smiled and said, "We're going to make sure I'm pregnant by next summer just so I don't have to go to the Games again." At the time I was not kidding. Even Tonya Wagner, 2009's Fittest Woman on the Planet told CFJ followers in an interview that she didn't want to do it again, post Games. I'm willing to bet she is hitting it hard and ready to take the title again this summer!

It took a few months to rest, recover and heal from the months of intense training after the Games, but when it happened I was in full swing again doing some pretty amazing things. Scott and I started to revisit the idea of me competing again in 2010.  Three days after making the decision to go forward with Games training we were thrilled to find out that we were pregnant! This was in no way, shape or form a mistake. No accidents here! We called it in July of 2009 and God let it play out exactly to His plan.

So while all the CrossFitters across the world are training for Sectionals, Regionals and the 2010 Games, our little family is gearing up for Traeger's arrival. Scott is about to experience how little boys turn on the water hose as soon as you take their diaper off, Logan is about to learning that the miracle of life starts tiny and cries a lot more than he expected, and Ms. Mekenzie will one day realize that having a cop daddy and 2 brothers makes her one tough girl to date, but fills her with an overwhelming sense of love and security.  As for me, looking back at my 8 years with Logan, I can only imagine what all I will learn from Traeger. We can't wait to meet him!

2 comments:

  1. I so remember that convo up on the giant hill in Aromas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

    ReplyDelete