Thursday, November 12, 2009

Intensity vs Baby

Yesterday I registered for the CrossFit Mom forum. I started reading questions from other crossfitters just finding out about their pregnancies and decided I needed to chime in myself.

Me:
I'm now 6 weeks 4 days. I'm a CrossFit coach and up until two weeks ago was training for the 2010 Games. I competed in last year’s games and am having a hard time turning off the competitor in myself. Since last Friday I have PR'ed Fran, Filthy Fifty and DT. I've read the Do's and Don'ts for the first trimester, but didn't know if that is effective immediately or if I still have a few weeks left? Am I doing harm to myself or my baby? Any info is helpful. Thanks!


Andrea:
Hi Nikki. Everyone is different, and every pregnancy is different. I'm sure it will be difficult for you to take it down a notch, but remember, it's only for 9 months out of your life. At your level, you will be able to do more than an intermediate or beginner level person. However, you do need to watch the intensity. If you cannot catch your breath, your baby is not getting enough oxygen. Just keep that in mind. You can still do a lot, just back off the PR's for now. CrossFitting while pregnant is going to give you an advantage. You will be stronger after the baby, than you were before.

In the silence of an empty gym I attempted my first CrossFit Mom wod. I added a little to make it feel more like what I've been doing, but I didn't race the clock and made sure to stop and check my breathing after ever movement. Intensity is no longer the goal.

Advanced
15-12-9-6-3
(I added in a 400m jog. I got to watch the butterflies playing around me.)
Wall ball #14 (I used #20)
Step ups (I did step ups on a 24" box)

I followed this with CrossFit's dot com
Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps
Hit a PR of 150!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment